Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sex and the automotive

I had a lengthy discussion with my better half this morning about my recent post on the Yamaha VMax. And I list her opinions: "That thing looks hideous." "The silver tube thingys on the side of the bike looks ugly, why can't they just take it away? Or just paint it in fuschia?". But what really took the cake was "This thing looks like a car on a diet, or a bike that overate. I think what it really lacks is 2 more wheels." And I know she was genuinely voicing her opinion, and not just trying to be funny. There have been many such discussions. For instance, she doesn't believe Michael Schumacher is anything special. "Ask him to come to Bangalore and drive that silly looking red thing of his at those speeds and I will accept. Any monkey can drive a four wheeled thingy fast enough on an open race track." Women, barring a few hate anything automotive. Just the other day, I was trying to get her identify different car shells. Coupe, Sedan, Hatchback, Station Wagon and SUV. Simple enough isn't it? Nothing over the top. Needless to say, I failed miserably. According to her, a sports coupe is "really low, cannot be good for arthritis". The automotive supplement that we get once a week with our newspaper, the one that I look forward to, is her  'chappathi making newspaper'.

However, there is hope left in the world. As I learned, there are some things that cannot be discussed between soul mates of opposite sexes. Unless you want to hear statements that are really hard to find retorts for, men, please confine the automotive within your own male circles.

No comments:

Post a Comment