Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Valuable lessons that the recession taught me

750 job applications and 5 months into my job hunt in the US, I was staring down the barrel. Human that I was, the initial reaction was sheer disappointment.This had been a trying time no doubt, and a lot of effort had gone into looking for a job.  It has taken me a month to just get to the point where I can comfortably write about it. I even have relapses sometimes ;-). But, cutting to the chase, hunting for a job in the recession has taught me many a thing, in fact, lately, I've been thinking of it as the best character test that life could throw at me. I've done my best to list out what I learned, in the order of importance of course.

A lesson in humility
Lets face it, all of us, and I mean ALL..at some point or the other deem ourselves 'above average'. Ever though about it? How come all of us are 'above average'? We all love comparisons, especially if we are on the higher scale.And quite so often, we are disappointed that life gives someone else an opportunity that 'I truly deserved'. I have been cured of this sin of snobbery. It is very minor snobbery, really. And yet the cure has arrived.

Whiskey is awesome


I have always been a beer person. As cliched as it may seem, some tough times introduced me to whiskey, the single malt variety. And I love it. Chivas, Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich(the only ones that my budget permits). Tastes best when consumed in solitary confinement, in a prim and proper whiskey glass, coupled with soft rock. Neat is the way to go, but an ice cube or two and a dash of club soda won't hurt. Adding Coke or any other such beverage is a huge no-no, as is making your drink a popsicle by adding too much ice.


Odysseus must set sail again
Odysseus had tried to avoid the Trojan war by feigning lunacy, as an oracle had prophesied a long-delayed return home for him if he went. But we all know that finally Odysseus had to go, and he had to endure the delayed return. He did survive, and have a couple of wonderful books dedicated to him though. You are free to make your own conclusions, but this philosophy is something that really eliminated the 'why' angle from my self blown up miseries.

Triumph of the will
Its all about how strong you are, isn't it? I would clench my teeth when someone would point out that I was the longest serving intern in The Company. I eventually learned how to maintain my self-control, and have become really good at it! These days, I laugh along as well! No, seriously, this is the most useful lesson that the recession has taught me, composure in public. Emotional intelligence.

I am as significant as the other
During one of my moping sessions, a friend said "A 108 year old multi billion dollar company collapsed. What can a small insignificant Ramachandran Eswaran do?" That just shocked me out of self pity. I have come to realize that in the bigger realm of things, the word 'I' holds no true meaning. The sooner you start thinking 'us', the better for you.

More to follow, watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete